Welcome to Wholistic Sound!

HELLO AND WELCOME- WE HAVE MOVED!!! Our new website, complete with blog and updated events, is located at: www.wholisticsound.com
Please visit!!!


This site is a forum for the introduction and discussion of ideas regarding the use of vibration, frequency, sound and music as a non-invasive modality for healing on the physical plane as well as expanding consciousness and furthering our connection to the psychospiritual realms.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wholistic Healing with Tibetan Singing Bowls

Lately I have been giving a lot of sound healing sessions with Tibetan (or Himalayan) singing bowls. They are called singing bowls because of their harmonic resonances and also because when you strike them the tone continues to ring long after they are struck. I have discovered through giving individuals sessions that the bowls seem to have an intelligence of their own and they actually seem to communicate how they should be arranged and played, as well as what bowls to pick for a given session. I am finding that there are different layouts or "spreads" that direct the sound energy in different patterns and directions. So far no two have been the same.

A couple of weeks ago I gave a friend a session with the bowls. Before she came I had already picked out a chakra set because I knew she was going to have a session with the bowls- she didn't know until she got there, but I had already been guided as to the beginning of the session. Once she lay down on the mat other bowls began calling to me and I put them around her as I was directed. I was astounded that each bowl I picked was in perfect harmony with the others even though I didn't try them or play any of them in advance.

After I felt that the layout was complete I began playing the bowls. What I began to sense as I played was that the layout was a Sun/Moon Spread, that it was assisting in balancing her male and female energies. In the beginning the layout looked like this.









Toward the end of the session, maybe after 20-25 minutes I was guided to begin changing the layout of the bowls. I began moving them and was directed very specifically where to place each bowl and soon discovered that the energy of the bowls was being directed very strongly to the heart, and clearly going in toward the heart. The sound was traveling up from the bottoms of her feet, through her legs and into the heart. And from the fingertips up through the arms and into the heart... in through the shoulders and into the heart, and also straight up from the root and straight down from the top of the head meeting in the heart as well. It looked like this.









It was incredibly beautiful and powerful and the sound of the bowls was extraordinary. I felt like the sound energy wanted to go to her heart. When the session was over I did not move the bowls away from her as I usually do because I wanted to share with her what I had witnessed and I felt she would better understand if she saw the layout of the bowls and the shift from the first part of the session to the second.

But before I shared with her I asked her about her experience. The only thing I said was "The sound all wanted to go to your heart." When I said that she began weeping. And then she told me that what she experienced was all these orbs surrounding her, these little spheres that were totally full of love and they all began moving into her. She said they were all her "buds", her friends and they were all part of her and then they all went into her heart and they were just hanging out there, in her heart. And she just wept. And so did I.

This is the last few minutes of the session, when I began changing the layout of the bowls. This is what it sounded like.

5 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. Really captures the essence of the work for folks who may not understand just how the experience is executed. Of course, every different person gets exactly what they need. Such beautiful work. xo Jaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's so interesting. I learn from every session. I feel like I am being guided by the instruments rather than directing them- like THEY tell ME how to play them. It's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the other worldly sound made by the bowl when played with the bow. What type of bow was used? I would like to try using a bow, but am not sure where to get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen- Sorry- somehow I never saw this! I used a violin bow- the cheapest one I could find in a local music store- nothing mysterious! However- there is a little water in the bowl and that technique only works with certain bowls- the size and shape, particularly the thickness have to be just right. Try it out with some of your bowls and see which one works! ;-) Peace, Rosie

      Delete
  4. Hi Chelsy, Thanks for your feedback. The intervals produced by the singing bowls (particularly the antique bowls) are in fact very precise and tend to correlate with Pythagorean intervals and tones- which correspond to the mathematical frequencies and ratios in nature and therefore our bodies. They have very specific and powerful effects on the brain/consciousness. The frequency of the perfect 5th (which is the interval of all the overtones of the antique bowls no matter what the pitch is) balances the right and left hemispheres of the brain which sets up a state conducive to deep meditation. They also produce alpha, theta and delta waves which balance the production of melatonin and seratonin, stimulating endorphin release and activating the parasympathetic nervous system. I could go on and on about the benefits of the bowls, along with a multitude of other sound healing technologies. Dr. Mitchell Gaynor, Oncologist- and a conventional Western medical doctor- recommends the use of sound healing- in particular the Himalayan bowls- to all of his patients saying that he has never seen a technology as fast and effective in bringing about a state of peace and harmony to his patient. All modalities have their proper application. Personally as a sound healing practitioner I sometimes use the bowls- I also use my voice, toning, chanting, tuning forks and vibroacoustic sound therapy- so I am not stuck on the bowls as the be all and end all! Blessings, Rosie

    ReplyDelete